Why hello, 2020! We’re ringing in the New Year with colorful, fresh, and healthy meals like this Buddha Bowl. Lemony kale topped with roasted veggies, quinoa, chickpeas, and avocado is guaranteed to get your resolutions started off right. Mix and match toppings to your heart’s content, or throw on some chicken for an extra protein boost!
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 475 calories / 66g carbs / 15.5g protein / 20g fat
- 2 cups (214g) raw broccoli or cauliflower florets (cut into small pieces)
- ¾ cup (100g) raw cubed sweet potato (peeled and diced small)
- 2 cups (32g) raw kale (de-stemmed and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup (62g) cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup (41g) canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- ⅓ avocado, sliced (45g)
- 2 tablespoons (28g) “Sabra” roasted garlic hummus
- Fresh ground salt and pepper
Optional toppings: sliced fresh radishes, bean sprouts, fresh parsley or cilantro, sliced green onions, thinly sliced cucumber, carrots, toasted pumpkin, sesame, or sunflower seeds, grated cheese or cheese alternative (macros not included.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the sweet potato and broccoli or cauliflower on the baking sheet. Spray well with olive oil or avocado oil cooking spray. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 25 minutes, tossing once halfway through. The vegetables are ready when they’re tender with light golden brown edges.
- Meanwhile, toss the kale with the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Massage with clean hands for 1-2 minutes until it’s softened, slightly wilted, and well coated with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the bowls by layering the kale salad, roasted vegetables, quinoa, chickpeas, avocado, and hummus. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Feel free to use any flavor of Sabra hummus, the macros are very similar.
- To turn this into a meal prep-friendly recipe, prepare extra vegetables, kale, and quinoa and store separately until ready to enjoy.
- Time saver tip: buy instant or pre-cooked quinoa.
- Add 2 ½ ounces of cooked chicken breast for a higher protein (non-vegan) option. Macros: 66C/36.5P/22F.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you.