Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars: the lazy person’s version of choc chip cookies 😉 These cookie bars are soft, chewy, just slightly cakey, and stuffed to the brim with chocolate chips! This lightened-up recipe is great for special occasions or potlucks (if you feel like sharing!).
Servings: 24 bars
Serving Size: 1 bar
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 212 calories / 29g carbs / 2.5g protein / 10.5g fat
- 3 ¼ cups (406g) flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (220g) packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (164g) coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- ½ cup (122g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs (100g)
- 1 egg yolk (17g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (228g) “Guittard” semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, cooled coconut oil, and applesauce. Add the eggs and egg yolk and mix well. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared baking pan and smooth with a spatula or knife. The dough can be quite sticky, so if needed use slightly dampened fingers to press the dough evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until very lightly browned and a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. Be careful not to over bake – you want the bars to be slightly soft in the middle because they will set up as they cool.
- Cool the bars in the pan for 30 minutes. Then, lift the bars out using the foil or parchment paper and place on a cutting board. Cool to room temperature.
- Slice into 24 squares. Store in an airtight container for 5-7 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- GF: use “Bob’s Red Mill” 1-to-1 gluten-free all purpose flour instead of regular flour. Macros: 32.5g carbs / 2g protein / 10g fat / 221 calories.