What if we told you that a delicious single-serving dessert could be yours in less than 5 minutes? A microwave and a mug are all you need for this easy Chocolate Protein Mug Cake recipe! Plus with 12 grams of protein, this “dessert” could totally count as a snack. Or breakfast. No judgement here!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 212 calories / 31.5g carbs / 12g protein / 5.5g fat
- ¼ cup (27g) “Kodiak Cakes” Power dark chocolate mix
- 2 tablespoons (31g) egg whites
- 2 tablespoons (31g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons (31g) fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon (11g) “Nestle” semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon(2g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (4g) sugar
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mug.
- Microwave for about 50-60 seconds on high power. Do not overcook! The mug cake is done when the edges are firm and the center is still slightly gooey.
- Special occasion? Top with whipped cream, powdered sugar, fresh fruit, chocolate chips, nut butter, or vanilla ice cream (macros not included.)
- Overcooking will lead to a dry mug cake! Microwave time may vary according to your microwave, so start with 50 seconds and increase by 10 second increments.
- You can substitute regular chocolate chips for the mini chocolate chips.
- Shopping tip: if you only use a few tablespoons of applesauce at a time for a recipe like this, buy the individually-packaged 4oz containers of applesauce. They last for months in the pantry!