Say goodbye to bland zucchini dishes and HELLO to these adorable Italian Stuffed Zucchini boats! Zucchini halves are stuffed with ground turkey and topped with mozzarella cheese. And then baked to golden brown deliciousness of course. This high-protein seasonal recipe is deceptively easy, too!
Serving Size: 2 stuffed zucchini halves
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 249 calories / 18.5g carbs / 32g protein / 6.5g fat
- 5 medium (1085g) zucchini
- 1 cup (240g) chopped yellow onion
- 1 lb (453g) 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 15-oz can (425g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (112g) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two 9×13-inch baking dishes with foil or spray with nonstick spray.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a sharp spoon to scrape out the flesh and seeds and set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and zucchini flesh to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent and the zucchini is tender.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes or until it’s no longer pink. Strain out the excess liquid.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt to the turkey mixture and stir well to combine. Remove from heat.
- Spoon the turkey filling into the prepared zucchini halves, mounding if needed. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella.
- Cover the baking dishes with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the oven to “broil”, and broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.