Flavorful, tender, shredded beef with just a few ingredients? Yes, please! The magical combination of supermarket salsa verde and sirloin in the instant pot is the weekday’s answer to a weekend dinner.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 bowl (335g)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 467 calories / 33.5g carbs / 38.5g protein / 15.5g fat
- 1 ½ lbs (680g) tri-tip sirloin (trimmed of any excess fat)
- ¾ cup (186g) ‘Herdez’ salsa verde mild
- 2 cups (390g) cooked brown rice (day-old is best)
- ¼ cup (60g) lime juice
- 1 ½ cups (223g) grape tomatoes (halved)
- ½ shallot (22g) (thinly sliced)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Set instant pot to the SAUTE setting and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sirloin and cook, 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the meat is nicely browned. Your meat might release a lot of juice, but don’t throw it away – it will add flavor later.
- Turn off the SAUTE setting and stir in the salsa verde. Replace the lid and lock it in place. Pressure cook on HIGH for 15 minutes (the Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come up to pressure) then allow the pressure to release naturally before removing the lid.
- Using a pair of tongs, carefully transfer the meat to a separate bowl, leaving any leftover liquid behind. Allow the beef to cool slightly before shredding with a pair of forks.
- Turn the Instant Pot back to SAUTE. Add rice and lime juice to the instant pot and sauté with leftover meat juice until rice is warmed through and no excess liquid remains.
- Divide rice evenly between 4 bowls and top with shredded beef, tomatoes, shallots, and cilantro. Serve hot with additional garnishes such as avocado or extra salsa and lime (macros not included)
- This recipe might be for a beef bowl, but don’t let that limit you! Try using salsa verde shredded beef as a filling for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas, add it to scrambles, or even add it to your salads.
- Depending on the size of your instant pot, you might find it easier to brown your meat in two batches or brown it separately in a large pan before adding it to the instant pot.
- To make in a slow cooker, proceed as directed but cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Cooked weights are estimates for this recipe.