Traditional Philly cheesesteaks are a classic, a comfort food, a street-side delight, and an on-the-go sandwich all rolled into one. Slices of savory beef and gooey cheese–what’s not to love? We’re putting a lightened up twist on this fan favorite by making a low-carb, extra-veggie, one-pan skillet version!
Servings: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/6 skillet (135g)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 287 calories / 5g carbs / 30g protein / 16.5g fat
- 1 tablespoon (15g) olive oil
- 18-ounces (510g) raw flank steak (thinly sliced into strips)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium (94g) yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 medium (228g) green bell peppers (sliced)
- 1 ½ cups (168g) “Sargento” Mozzarella & Provolone shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil over a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add steak, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper, and cook until brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and in the same pan, add onions and peppers and cook until soft and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add beef back to the skillet and stir well.
- Layer cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- To keep this dish low-carb, serve with cauliflower rice!
- Baking the skillet lets the cheese get bubbly and golden brown on top. If you prefer to skip this step, or don’t have an oven-safe skillet, cover your skillet with a lid on the stove for 10-15 minutes instead to let the cheese melt without overcooking the meat.