Do you suffer from the “dry/bland/overcooked chicken” curse? Look no further, this recipe is for you! This 5-Ingredient Smoky Baked Chicken is juicy, just a little bit spicy, and is guaranteed to turn out right every time. The secret? Searing the chicken in a hot, dry pan before baking. 5 ingredients, 30 minutes, and you’re set!
Serving Size: 105g cooked chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 168 calories / 0.5g carbs / 31g protein / 3.5g fat
- 550g (about 1.25 lb) chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Mix the smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pat each chicken breast dry with a paper towel. Season on both sides with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large, dry non-stick skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, place the chicken breasts in the pan and let cook (without moving or flipping) for about 1 minute. When the underside is golden brown, flip to the other side and let cook for another 1-2 minutes or until browned on the second side.
- Place chicken on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes (depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts), until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees and the inside is no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes (this is an important step for optimal juiciness – you won’t be sorry!).
- Enjoy along with your favorite sides, on top of a salad, in a sandwich or taco…the options are endless! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Meal prep here we come!
- If using a regular (not non-stick) skillet, spray the skillet with a nonstick spray before cooking the chicken breasts. Good high-heat options include canola, avocado, or coconut oil cooking sprays.
- If you like spicy flavors add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the spice blend.
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley or cilantro.
- In the last photo on the right, the chicken is paired with our Garlic Roasted Sheet Pan Veggies