Apple pie, meet oatmeal. Who can say no to dessert for breakfast?! Hearty steel-cut oats are cooked low and slow overnight along with fresh apple, pumpkin pie spice, and milk for extra creaminess. Add this recipe to your rotation for hassle-free mornings!
Serving Size: about 1 ¼ cup (267g)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 6-7 hours
Nutrition Facts: 205 calories / 34.5g carbs / 10.5g protein / 2.5g fat
- 1 cup (144g) steel-cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups “Fairlife” nonfat ultra-filtered milk
- 1 small (149g) apple (grated or chopped)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Stir well. Turn to “low” and cook for 6-7 hours or until the oats are soft and creamy. You can also cook on “high” for about 3 hours.
- Before serving, add your desired toppings (macros not included.) Our favorites are chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, apple slices, maple syrup, coconut flakes, ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, or nut butter!
- Avoid cooking the oatmeal for longer than 7-8 hours otherwise, it may get mushy. Use a slow cooker with a timer if cooking for a longer period overnight.
- Grate the apples for a smooth, creamy texture. If you like a chewier texture, chop into ½-inch pieces rather than grating.
- Use any variety of apple. The sweeter the apple (Fuji or Honeycrisp, for example), the sweeter the oats will taste.
- To make dairy-free, substitute unsweetened almond milk for the Fairlife milk. The macros are: 31g carbs / 4.5g protein / 4g fat / 176 calories.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you.