This easy casserole is a new take on meal prep comfort food! Cornbread is layered with taco seasoned beef, enchilada sauce, and shredded cheese for a delicious meal the whole family will love.
Serving Size: 273g (⅛ casserole)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 403 calories / 33.5g carbs / 28g protein / 17.5g fat
- 2 lb (906g) 90% lean ground beef
- 1 packet (28g) “McCormick” reduced sodium taco seasoning
- ¼ cup (59g) water
- 1 8.5-oz box (240g) “Jiffy” corn muffin mix
- 1 14-oz can (418g) cream style corn
- 1 4-oz can (127g) diced green chiles (drained)
- ½ cup (122g) liquid egg whites
- 1 10-oz can (283g) “Old El Paso” mild red enchilada sauce
- ¾ cup (68g) shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish well with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix the corn muffin mix, creamed corn, drained chiles, and egg whites together with a fork or whisk. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the ground beef and taco seasoning in a medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove from the heat.
- When the cornbread has cooled slightly, use a fork to poke holes in the top. Pour ½ can of enchilada sauce over the cornbread.
- Top with the ground beef. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the beef. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- This casserole freezes really well. Cook the cornbread base and meat and assemble as directed through the second-to-last step. Cover well and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking as instructed.
- You can also substitute shredded chicken (like our Instant Pot Salsa Chicken) or shredded pork (like our Smoky Pulled Pork) for the ground beef. Prep and bake exactly as directed.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you.