These moist and fluffy cupcakes pack all the light spices of a traditional carrot cake, and of course the veggie goodness from fresh carrots! We also cut the amount of fat in half, even in the cream cheese frosting, to make these a guilt-free treat for Easter, or any other time you want a yummy carrot cake dessert!
Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 287 calories / 37g carbs / 3g protein / 14.5g fat
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup oil (avocado or canola oil)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups finely grated carrot
- 5 oz “⅓ less fat’ cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan lining with paper liners. Spray the liners lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour through salt) together in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (oil through eggs). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently with a wooden spoon until the flour is almost all incorporated.
- Fold in the grated carrot.
- Spoon batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups, filling each about ⅔ full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the cupcakes are lightly golden and a toothpick tester comes out with no wet batter (only crumbs).
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the muffin pan and cool completely to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. Beat the room temperature cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with a hand-held or stand mixer on high speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and pinch of salt. Mix on low until the sugar is incorporated, and then increase the speed to medium-high and continue beating for a further 1-2 minutes. The frosting should be light and fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with a knife, spatula, or piping bag. Decorate with sprinkles or candies if desired (macros not included.)
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you