If you love traditional potato-based gnocchi you have to try the cauliflower version! It’s lower in carbohydrates but has the same pillowy texture. Using this sauté method instead of boiling will give it a beautiful crispy exterior with a soft inside.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving Size: 4 ounces chicken (85g) + 1 cup gnocchi (122g)
Total cooked weight: 828 grams
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 398 calories / 31g carbs / 28g protein / 15g fat
Pan Sauteed Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (454g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto and Cauliflower Gnocchi:
- 2 (120g) roasted red peppers (jarred)
- ½ cup (12g) fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons orange juice (46g)
- 2 tablespoons (12g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves (6g) garlic
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 packages (680g) “Trader Joe’s” frozen cauliflower gnocchi
Optional garnishes: extra parmesan cheese, basil, red pepper flakes
- Trim chicken of any excess fat. Place chicken in a plastic freezer bag or under plastic wrap and pound to approximately one half-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer chicken to the skillet and cook until browned, flipping once (about 5-6 minutes per side). The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees. Transfer to a plate.
- While the chicken is cooking, begin preparing the pesto by removing red peppers from the jar and draining off excess brine.
- Add roasted red peppers, basil, orange juice, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and red pepper flakes (optional) to a food processor. Pulse 8-10 times. Turn on and slowly pour in 3 teaspoons of the olive oil. Run until smooth. Season pesto with salt to taste.
- Add the last teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet and add frozen gnocchi in a single layer. Cook 3-4 minutes (undisturbed) until golden brown, flip and repeat on the second side. Add pesto to the skillet with gnocchi and toss to coat, shaking the pan.
- Nestle chicken breasts in the pan with gnocchi and top with additional Parmesan cheese, basil and red pepper flakes, as desired (macros will vary with garnishes).
- There are a variety of frozen cauliflower gnocchi options now on the market. Any brand can be substituted, as desired. Macros and allergens will vary with each brand.