Mmm, pie … America’s favorite! These blueberry pie bars are delightfully chewy and bring a healthier vegan twist to everyone’s favorite summer dessert.
Servings: 16 bars
Serving Size: 1 bar (59g)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 128 calories / 21.5g carbs / 1.5g protein / 5g fat
- 1 cup (120g) whole wheat flour
- ½ cup (40g) old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup (110g) packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (74g) refined coconut oil (melted)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (420g) fresh or frozen blueberries (approximately one 18-ounce container)
- 1/4 cup (80g) pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (18g) arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper or foil, leaving a 1-2 inch overhang around the sides.
- In a food processor, pulse together the whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, coconut oil, baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt, for the crust.
- Press ¾ of the dough into the baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- To make the filling, combine blueberries, maple, syrup, lemon juice, arrowroot, vanilla and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, in a large bowl and mix well.
- Spoon over the top of the partially baked dough, then sprinkle with remaining ¼ of dough on top.
- Bake for another 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and blueberries are bubbling.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- For best slicing results, refrigerate for at least 2 hours and then remove the bars from the pan using the paper or foil overhang and place on a cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 16 even squares, wiping the knife between each cut to ensure clean lines.
- If using frozen blueberries there is no need to thaw. Add 10 minutes to the final baking time.
- Easily substitute unrefined coconut oil without changing the macros, although the dough will have a mild coconut flavor.