Imagine enchiladas mixed with fajitas and crossed with a tamale. The Mexican fusion meal of your dreams? Ours too! This Chicken Enchilada Casserole ticks all the boxes, with corn tortillas, chicken, fajita veggies, enchilada sauce, and plenty of cheese. This recipe is perfect for feeding a crowd or meal prep!
Serving Size: ⅙ of casserole (300g)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 417 calories / 30.5g carbs / 44.5g protein / 10.5g fat
- 1 19-oz can (2 cups, 539g) “Old El Paso” mild enchilada sauce
- 12 “Mission” corn tortillas (306g)
- 1 ½ lbs (680g) cooked chicken breast (cut into strips or shredded)
- 2 cups (200g) sliced bell pepper (about 1 large pepper)
- 2 cups (200g) thinly sliced onion (about ½ large onion)
- 2 tablespoons “McCormick” less sodium taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups (168g) Mexican style shredded cheese (we used “Kraft”)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Heat the corn tortillas in a stack in the microwave for 30 seconds, until warmed through.
- Fill each tortilla with 2 ounces of chicken. Roll into a log shape and set in the baking dish. Once complete, the 12 rolled tortillas should fill the entire dish.
- Sprinkle the sliced peppers and onion on top of the rolled enchiladas. Evenly sprinkle the taco seasoning on top.
- Pour over the remaining enchilada sauce and top with shredded cheese. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges are golden brown.
- Serve with optional garnishes listed below if desired.
- Time saver tip: use pre-cooked frozen chicken breast strips (defrosted) or rotisserie chicken breast. Dice, shred, or slice the chicken into thin strips before filling the tortillas.
- Optional garnishes: fresh cilantro, avocado, salsa, lime wedges, or sour cream (macros not included.)
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you.