These Chicken Kebabs are summer on a plate! Chicken and fresh seasonal veggies are marinated in a tangy Paleo/Whole30 friendly lemon Dijon dressing and then grilled to golden perfection. Hint hint: this is the PERFECT recipe to zest up your Memorial Day!
Serving Size: 2 skewers
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 215 calories / 6.5g carbs / 22g protein / 11g fat
- 1 lb (453g) chicken breast (cubed)
- 2 medium (228g) bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup (149g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini (217g)
- ½ medium (64g) red onion
- ⅓ cup (81g) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (20g) Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons (41g) olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Mix the marinade ingredients (lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper) in a small bowl. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the marinade.
- Slice the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Do the same with the onion and bell peppers. Slice the zucchini into thick slices. Add to a plastic gallon-sized zip-top bag along with the marinade (reserve the other 3 tablespoons for later) and seal tightly
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours. While the chicken and veggies are marinating, soak 10 wooden skewers in a shallow pan of water (if using metal skewers you can skip this step.)
- When ready to assemble the kebabs, alternate veggies and chicken pieces on each skewer, making sure to fit about 3 pieces (45g) of chicken per skewer. Evenly distribute the onion, tomatoes, zucchini, and bell pepper between the chicken.
- Heat the grill over medium-high heat. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for about 10-15 minutes, turning every 3-5 minutes. Brush with the reserved marinade about halfway through cooking. The kebabs are done when the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the veggies have char marks.
- Serve over a salad or alongside couscous or baked sweet potato (Paleo/Whole30 friendly).
- You can also cook the skewers indoors using the “broil” setting on your oven. Place kebabs on a lined baking sheet and broil on high for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Optional garnishes include grilled lemon halves and chopped parsley. If using lemons, slice in half and grill face-down along with the skewers until caramelized (about 3-5 minutes total).