French toast casserole is a favorite for holidays since it works well for a crowd (and is easy to make ahead!). This version is lightened up with egg whites and non-fat milk while still holding true to that comforting custard-like texture we all love. Finishing with a streusel topping and light drizzle of icing gives serious cinnamon roll vibes.
Serving Size: 4-inch square (162g)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 297 calories / 38g carbs / 15.5g protein / 9g fat
- 8 slices (272g) “Food for Life” Ezekiel sprouted grain bread (cubed)
- 2 cups (490g) fat-free milk
- 4 large eggs (200g)
- ½ cup (122g) liquid egg whites
- 3 tablespoon (27g) brown sugar (divided)
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt (divided)
- ¼ cup (24g) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon (14g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoon (28g) butter, cubed
- ¼ cup (30g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add bread cubes to the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, add 2 cups milk, eggs, egg whites, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of salt. Whisk until well combined and then pour over the bread cubes.
- Make the streusel: In a small bowl, combine oats, almond flour, butter, the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Use a fork (or clean fingers) to combine until wet and crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of the casserole.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, combine the confectioner’s sugar and 2 teaspoons milk in a separate small dish and use a fork to whisk until smooth.
- When the casserole comes out of the oven, drizzle icing on top while still warm.
- Optional garnishes: fresh berries (macros not included).
- To make ahead: complete steps 1-3, then cover and refrigerate. Complete the remaining steps the next day. The streusel can be made ahead as well but should be kept separate until just before baking.
- Make this recipe dairy-free by substituting any (unsweetened) milk alternative for the skim milk (macros will vary).
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you.