If you love cornbread, then you’re going to love this take on a homespun classic! This hearty “pie” boasts a soft cornbread crust that gives way to a cozy, lightly spicy meat dish.
Makes: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 serving (302g)
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 424 calories / 47.5g carbs / 31g protein / 12.5g fat
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1 lb (16-ounces) lean ground turkey
- ½ medium (85g) yellow onion (finely diced)
- ½ medium (114g) green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 15-ounce can (260g) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 14-ounce can (418g) creamed corn
- 1 15-ounce can (440g) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1, 4-ounce can (112g) diced hatch green chile
- ½ cup (120g) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons (5g) chili powder
- 2 teaspoons (5g) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (113g) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cornbread topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup (122g) cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon (9g) flour
- 1 tablespoon (12g) sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (50g)
- ⅓ cup (81g) 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon (14g) vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Saute the turkey, onion, and bell pepper over medium-high heat until the meat is brown and the onion translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, chiles, and broth. Season with the chili powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir well. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, milk and oil until combined.
- Mix the wet and dry cornbread ingredients until just combined.
- Dollop the cornbread mixture on top of the turkey mixture and spread until the top is even.
- Bake until the corn bread is brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool for five minutes and enjoy!