This super easy vegan dish packs a wonderful umami flavor from miso, a versatile secret ingredient that can be used in both savory and sweet dishes alike. And plant-based lovers can rejoice because we also added extra protein through chickpea rice, mushrooms, and nutritional yeast!
Serving Size: 1/4 recipe (182g)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 288 calories / 43.5g carbs / 18g protein / 4g fat
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) “Banza” plain rice (the equivalent of 1 package)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8-ounces (226g) mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon (15g) white miso paste
- 3 cups (67g) raw kale (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Pinch of black pepper
- Optional: parsley
- Cook Banza rice according to package directions and add ½ teaspoon of salt. When the rice has finished cooking, make sure to drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add some nonstick cooking spray, minced garlic, mushrooms, and miso paste. Stir to combine to ensure the miso paste is thinned out well. You can add a tablespoon of water to help if necessary. Cook for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add kale and reduce heat to medium and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until the kale is wilted.
- In a serving bowl, combine the cooked rice and vegetable mixture together.
- Add nutritional yeast and a pinch of black pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or other herb of choice and serve immediately or portion into meal prep bowls.
- If you’re making this dish for a meal prep, we recommend subtracting 1 minute from the cook time of the chickpea rice to make sure it holds its shape and texture.
- You can substitute any preferred whole grain for the chickpea rice. Macros may vary.