Grilled flank steak is paired with a creamy garlic-herb yogurt dip and fresh vegetables for a light and flavor-packed sandwich that is reminiscent of the Medtierranean. This sandwich is simple, fresh, and easy, making it perfect for a weeknight, but also delicious enough to serve at a weekend celebration.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich with 3 ounces cooked flank steak, 1 naan bread (50g), 3 tablespoons yogurt dip (56g), heaping ¼ cup tomato-cucumber salad (43g), 1 lettuce leaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes + marinating time
Nutrition Facts: 426 calories / 31g carbs /40.5g protein /14g fat
For the Steak:
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, mint, and rosemary
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound flank steak
For the Greek yogurt sauce:
- ¾ cup (190g)plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (35g) English cucumber (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove (pressed)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Tomato Cucumber Salad:
- ½ cup (78g) cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- ½ cup (75g) cucumber (diced)
- 3 tablespoons (24g) finely chopped red onion
- 4 (200g) “Stonefire” original mini naan
- Whisk together fresh herbs, vinegar, oil, garlic, and salt. Pour over steak and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat your grill to medium (if no grill, see notes).
- When the grill is hot, place the steak on the grill and cook for 5 minutes per side (for medium doneness). When it’s done, remove the steak and let it “rest” on a cutting board for 10 minutes. Slice thinly for the sandwiches.
- While the steak is cooking, make the yogurt dip. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, dill, mint, and salt. Refrigerate while the steak is cooking.
- Mix the tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion together in a small bowl.
- To assemble the gyros, place sliced steak on top of the open naan bread and top with tomato-cucumber salad, lettuce, and yogurt sauce.
- If a grill is unavailable, sear the steak on a grill pan or cast iron pan on the stove, or broil in the oven. Cooking times will vary.
- Steak can be cooked up to 24 hours in advance (store in the fridge) and sandwiches can be served cold or warm.
- Recommend using green leaf or butter lettuce varieties in this recipe. Lettuce not currently listed in ingredients but macros are negligible.