Fire up the grill with this ultra simple and decadent tri tip steak topped with a flavor-packed chimichurri! A soy sauce and brown sugar marinade pairs beautifully with the herbaceous sauce.
Serving Size: 4 ounces steak (114g) + 2 tablespoons (35g) sauce
Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 272 calories / 4.5g carbs / 33.5g protein / 13g fat
- ¼ cup (56g) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (14g) brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 16 oz (454g) tri tip steak (vs raw flank steak)
- 1 cup (30g) cilantro
- 1 cup (30g) flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup (60g) red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: additional fresh herbs
- Prepare the steak: whisk soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper flakes (if using) in a bowl and transfer to a gallon size zip top bag. Add steak to bag and seal top. Shake to evenly distribute sauce and let marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Meanwhile, make the chimichurri sauce. To a large wide-mouth mason jar, add herbs, garlic, oil, vinegar and salt. Pulse a stick blender several times until herbs are finely chopped and ingredients are thoroughly combined into a spoonable sauce. Set aside. Alternatively, the sauce can be combined in a standard blender or food processor.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Grill steak until it reaches desired doneness (145° F for medium) about 8-10 minutes per side (depending on thickness), basting with remaining marinade while it cooks. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice steak against the grain, transfer to a serving platter, and serve with chimichurri sauce.
- Any combination of tender herbs can be substituted in the sauce. Consider using basil or dill if parsley or cilantro are unavailable.