Hummus and lemon juice combine to make a creamy sauce in this simple and flavorful vegetarian pasta recipe!
Servings: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 heaping cups (228g)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 347 calories / 50.5g carbs / 14g protein / 10g fat
- 8 ounces (224g) “Barilla” protein penne
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small (60g) onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¾ cup (168g) “Sabra” plain hummus
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ½ -ounces (71g) arugula or spinach
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve at least ½ cup of the water from the cooked pasta and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Once hot, add the diced onion. Cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more, until golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the hummus, salt, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of reserved pasta water. Stir until a sauce forms.
- Stir in the arugula. Cover the pan with a lid to allow the arugula to wilt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the arugula is wilted, remove the lid and stir in the cooked pasta. Add extra pasta water to thin sauce as needed.
- Add lemon zest and season with black pepper or red pepper flakes to taste. Enjoy!
- Any kind of hummus or pasta works for this recipe, but macros will vary based on ingredients used.