Our Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is sweet, savory, and fall-apart tender. This healthy version of takeout only takes 10 minutes to throw in the slow cooker, and 4 hours later you have a kid pleaser meal ready to go! It’s easy to double or triple this recipe and freeze leftovers for later too.
Serving Size: 138g (about 4.75 oz)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
Nutrition Facts: 247 calories / 21.5g carbs / 31.5g protein / 3.5g fat
- 1 cup (249g) orange juice
- ¼ cup (72g) soy sauce (Tamari soy sauce if gluten-free)
- ¼ cup (80g) orange marmalade (we used “Smucker’s”)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons (42g) honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ¾ lb (793g) chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Special equipment: slow cooker
- Mix the first 6 ingredients together in the slow cooker using a whisk or fork. Add the chicken breasts to the sauce.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours. The chicken is ready when it shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and either dice into bite-sized pieces or shred with 2 forks. Return the chicken to the pot and stir to coat with sauce.
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce mix the cornstarch with 1-2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir into the sauce with the slow cooker set on “high”. The sauce will thicken as it heats.
- Serve with rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or atop a bed of greens.
- If you don’t usually drink orange juice at home, buy a small 8-oz single-serving orange juice to avoid waste (usually located next to the larger orange juice containers in the refrigerated section of the grocery store).
- To speed the cooking time slice the chicken breasts in half before placing in the slow cooker.
- Freeze leftovers in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you.