Spice up your work week lunches with these 30 minute Southwestern Meal Prep Quinoa Bowls! Sautéed fajita veggies are layered with quinoa, seasoned flank steak and salsa. You can easily transform your bowl into a Southwestern quinoa salad by adding a few handfuls of leafy greens. Magic!
Makes: 6 bowls
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 374 calories / 31.5g carbs / 32g protein / 11g fat
- 1 teaspoon (5g) olive oil
- 3 cups (405g) bell pepper strips (about 2 peppers)
- 1 small (60g) yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 ¼ lb (567g) flank steak
- 2 tablespoons (17g) “McCormick” lower sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 ¼ cup (213g) uncooked quinoa
- ¾ cup (194g) “Pace” mild chunky salsa
- Cook quinoa per package directions. While it’s cooking, prepare the fajita veggies and flank steak.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp-tender. Remove from the pan.
- Slice the flank steak into thin strips against the grain. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning. Cook in the skillet over high heat for 2 minutes before flipping. Cook for another 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Assemble 6 meals by layering just over ¾ cup (130g) of cooked quinoa, just under 3oz (80g) cooked steak, ½ cup (50g) onions/peppers, and 2 tablespoons salsa in each meal prep container.
- Optional garnishes: shredded cheese, hot sauce, lime wedges, cilantro, shredded lettuce, or avocado (macros not included.)
- Feel free to use as much or as little taco seasoning as you like. For a spicier flavor use the entire packet of seasoning.
- Use any salsa – the macros are generally very similar!