Got a full house for the holidays? Meal prepping for the week? This Taco Breakfast Casserole is the recipe for you! Each bite is filled with turkey sausage, veggies, and tortillas baked into cheesy salsa goodness. And even better – prep it the night before and bake when you’re ready to enjoy in the morning.
Serving Size: 1 square (205g)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Nutrition Facts: 315 calories / 20g carbs / 27g protein / 12.5g fat
- 1 lb “Jennie O” turkey sausage
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium taco seasoning (we used “McCormicks”)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- ½ cup salsa (we used “Pace” mild salsa)
- 8 “Mission” corn tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13-inch baking pan by spraying with nonstick spray.
- Cook the turkey sausage and taco seasoning in a large skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned and no longer pink. Break up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat.
- While the turkey is browning, in a separate skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes until the veggies are softened. Stir in salsa and remove from the heat.
- Slice the corn tortillas into 4 quarters. Whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and salt together in a large bowl.
- To assemble the casserole, layer ½ of the turkey mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with the veggie mixture and then half of the tortillas (16 quarters), overlapping as needed.
- Pour over approximately half of the egg mixture. Repeat the layers: turkey, veggies, the rest of the tortillas, followed by the rest of the eggs. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees (uncovered) for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly before slicing into 8 even squares. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, avocado, or diced green onions (macros not included.)
- To make this recipe dairy-free use unsweetened almond milk instead of the nonfat milk and omit the cheese. Macros: 18.5C/24P/10.5F per serving.
- To make a day ahead: prepare the recipe through step 6. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight. Bake as instructed in step 7.
- Feel free to use any brand of salsa, Mexican cheese, and corn tortillas. The macros for most brands are generally very similar.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which may earn Macrostax a commission at no extra cost to you.