Made with lean ground turkey and without canned condensed soups, this tater tot casserole is a healthier twist on a Midwestern classic. Despite being lower in fat, the casserole is still just as easy and flavorful as the traditional. Trust us, it’s sure to be a favorite with the whole family.
Serving Size: 1 ¼ cups (226g)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Nutrition Facts: 355 calories / 33g carbs / 25g protein / 15g fat
- 1/2 tablespoon (7g) unsalted butter
- 1 medium (43g) shallot (minced)
- 3 cloves (9g) garlic (minced)
- 1 pound (453g) 99% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (260g) frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1 cup (165g) frozen corn
- 2/3 cup (164g) fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons (16g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (56g) “Kraft” 2% milk shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 16-ounce bag (454g) “Cascadian Farm Organic Spud Puppies” (frozen tater tots)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the shallot and garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes, or until the shallot is softened. Add the ground turkey, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned, but not cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas, carrots, and corn to the skillet and cook until thawed, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Pour the milk and flour mixture into the pan, stirring constantly until the combination starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the cheese over the turkey-vegetable mixture and then add the frozen tater tots on top in an even layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the tater tots are cooked through and lightly browned. Serve immediately.
- Substitute any frozen tater tot variety, as desired. Macros may vary slightly.
- If making this for kids who don’t like onions, substitute ½ teaspoon of onion powder for the shallot.
- If the frozen peas and carrots mix is unavailable, use 1 cup of both frozen peas and carrots.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Note that the tater tots will get soggy the longer they’re stored.